Stepping motor-controlled focusing rack for use in a wide variety of applications in the fields of photography, measurement, and science. CASTEL MICRO is the solution when conventional photographic equipment or internal camera functions
reach their limits.
CASTEL-Micro is ideal for focus stacking in macro photography, for example, to capture images of insects, minerals and scientific documentation, etc. The problem is well known: as the magnification factor increases – usually above 2:1 to 50:1 – manual focusing with a focusing rack becomes impossible. In addition, automatic functions, such as the internal camera function of focus bracketing, are no longer of much use. The consequence is that photographs with such magnification can only be captured with an enormous amount of effort. The solution is the CASTEL MICRO with its specially designed control unit and four different control modes.
- Step and Picture modes are quick and simple to use. In these modes, either the step distance or the number of shots can be specified depending on the magnification factor and the aperture of the lens. The software then automatically calculates the number of shots or the step distance required. In addition, pauses between the shots can be taken into consideration, for example for mirror lockup in SLR cameras.
- Continuous mode is available for special applications in which the sliding block is in constant motion so that there is no need for acceleration and stopping distances and any associated pauses. Exposures are then best done with very fast shutter speeds and/or a flash.
- Bellows mode is designed for use with the optional bellows attachment CASTBAL-PRO. Adjustment at the front or back can be selected. The Bellows mode is not only ideal for macro photography but also for those fields of photography requiring much effort, special cameras, and tilt, and shift lenses. The BALPRO adapter system enables
the use of various cameras and lenses. For example, it is possible to integrate high-quality, mechanical lenses used in specialist cameras into a modern stacking workflow. The Bellows mode imitates the software control of the autofocus of a lens in order to produce a stack of images with different focus points of one and the same
object. The stack of images is then processed by stacking software to produce an image with an astonishing depth of focus.
The control unit is powered by rechargeable batteries (Canon LP-E6 - not included in the scope of delivery! We recommend the use of original Canon batteries only!) and is thus ideal for outdoor applications and fieldwork. For studio work, the control unit can be connected to the mains with the supplied AC-adapter.
The CASTEL MICRO has a maximum travel distance of 100 mm and its smallest repeatable step distance is 0.2µ! The maximum carrying capacity for vertical assembly is 4 kg.
CASTEL-MICRO can be fully integrated into the NOVOFLEX-Q System with tripods, racks, brackets, etc. for complex set-ups.
A camera is attached by means of the Q=MOUNT quick release unit, which is ARCA-compatible and can be offset by 90 ° if required. On the underside of the rail, the focusing rack has the ARCA-compatible dovetail profile over the entire length and can thus be used in compatible coupling units. In addition, there are 2 standard 3/8"-16 and 1/4"-20 threads.
Camera coupling plates (ARCA-compatible) are available separately and can be found here
Camera release cables are available separately for the following systems: Canon EOS, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Samsung, Sigma, and Sony. Other cameras on request.
Scope of delivery:
- Focusing rack CASTEL-MICRO
- Control unit
- Network cable 2m
- AC adapter, with 5 country-specific socket blades for worldwide use
Well-known macro-photographer Robert Thompson has written an extensive report on using the CASTEL-MICRO in the field. You can access it here
Please note: For better presentation, our application images may contain some accessories such as cameras, lenses, etc. which are not included in the scope of delivery.